hear wisconsin is a nonprofit that helps infants, children, and adults with hearing loss by eliminating communication and language barriers through personalized services, technology, and education.
For 90 years, HEAR WI has provided critical services to children and adults with hearing loss throughout Wisconsin. Its mission is to help infants, children, and adults by eliminating communication and language barriers through personalized services, technology, and education.
Because there is no one right way for every person or family to cope with the challenges of hearing loss, HEAR WI provides services across the spectrum of communication and technology options. At HEAR WI, clients have the opportunity to make decisions and select a treatment plan that best meets their needs and goals.
Our diverse team of professionals includes Speech-Language Pathologists, Audiologists, Sign Language Interpreters and Wisconsin’s only Certified Auditory-Verbal Therapist, as well as other specialists in Deaf education and assistive technology.
History of hear wisconsin
The history of HEAR WI dates back to 1926, when a small group of deaf and hard of hearing individuals from Milwaukee began gathering together on a regular basis to socialize and discuss topics of the day. Two neighbors, Herman H. Beyer and Father Stephen Klopfer, gave life to the idea of a more formal organization in 1927. They wanted to better understand the needs of d/Deaf and hard of hearing people in Milwaukee and what could be done to help those facing the unique challenges of hearing loss.
Mr. Beyer, hard of hearing himself, knew firsthand the difficulties of life with hearing loss. Father Klopfer, a dedicated teacher at St. John’s School for the Deaf, also held a strong interest in helping the deaf and hard of hearing community. Eventually the discussions between these two neighbors resulted in the official formation of the Milwaukee League for the Hard of Hearing on October 28, 1927.
The first meeting of the new League was held at the Milwaukee Journal Building. Twenty people joined the new organization and elected Mr. Beyer as its first president. The purpose agreed upon at that time was to provide a “center for the deafened where social intercourse and opportunity for mutual inspiration and helpfulness may be encouraged and provided, and to be an active instrument of helpfulness to the deafened in every way.”